OCaml support on Ubuntu & Proposal to improve it

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sat Sep 27 16:58:22 UTC 2008

On sab, 2008-09-27 at 08:28 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> While that's true for major changes, if there are updates that would
> help
> you should feel free to suggest them.

Let's clarify this a bit more: ubuntu has a huge set of ocaml packages,
that makes it appear a wonderful platform for ocaml development.
Unfortunately in ocaml you need to build dependencies in the right
order, because - if I recall this correctly - depending libraries store
an hash coding of the ancestor in the dependency graph, and refuse to
load if this does not match. Thus, we currently have in ubuntu a huge
set of packages that just can't be used, and one tipically resorts to a
local installation of ocaml. This is surely unwanted, thus if David
identifies a set of packages that would work, please accept an exception
to freezes and ship a working set of packages in intrepid. Ocaml is a
great language but currently has a small user base which means few
on-time reports for ubuntu. Perhaps the right thing to do is to invent a
way to build dependencies in order on build servers?

Vincenzo Ciancia