use imdb-thumbnailer as movie thumbnailer

A. Walton awalton at gnome.org
Tue Sep 23 18:50:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM, David Prieto <frandavid100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I originally sent this proposal to Launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/269803
>
> I would like Nautilus to use imdb-thumbnailer to create video
> thumbnails. According to this forum thread
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=706800), it searches imdb for
> covers based on the file names and if no cover is found the default
> thumbnailer is used.
>
> An example of the results can be seen in this screenshot:
> http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thumbnailfactorynf1.png
>
> I believe that the cover is more representative of a movie than a video
> frame. After all it's the cover (or the poster) you see when you go to
> the cinema to watch the movie or to the videoclub to rent it. So it's
> probably easier to recognize it visually through the cover, than through
> a video file.
>
> Files whose cover is not found still use video frames anyway, so there
> isn't really a downside to it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Well step one would be getting it into Ubuntu, so you may want to
contact the MOTU team for that. Once you've done that much, we can
discuss it more seriously.
After that, one question of mine would be what happens when the
internet connection goes away; does it fallback to Totem's
thumbnailer, or do we get the ugly octet-stream icon?

-A. Walton