How to make burning an audio CD easy again

David Prieto frandavid100 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:23:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

This was originally raised as a Launchpad bug:

Burning an audio CD used to be so simple that my mom had no trouble
doing it. When she put a blank CD in the tray a dialogue would ask her
what she wanted to burn, a data CD or audio CD. Then serpentine opened
and she just had to drag the files.

Now she gets a dialogue asking her what program should be used to handle
the blank CD, but only one is actually shown (nautilus) and she doesn't
know what brasero is for anyway. Even if she remember she wants to use
brasero, she might be presented the data project thingy so she has to
figure out she has to open file → new project → new audio project. THEN
drag the files and hit burn.

This is way too complicated for newcomers, and much more difficult than
it used to be. One way to make it easier can be seen in the attached
image, though.

It's still not as easy as the original dialogue, since the user still
has to click the dropdown box to see all the available options. But al
least is much more straightforward than what we have now.

What do you think? Could this be applied?

PS - I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me if you reply.
Thanks.