Configuration masquerading Data

Felix Kaser f.kaser at gmx.net
Thu Sep 18 08:51:13 UTC 2008

> Examples:
>  - Pidgin
>  * Configuration - Settings for which services to connect to, what
> skins to use and what plugins to use.
>  * Data - Text entered at the keyboard, text received over the
> service, files received or sent over the service, chat logs.
>
>  - Gnome Background Settings
>  * Configuration - which background is selected, which backgrounds are
> available, how a background is to be presented.
>  * Data - Background image files
>
>  - Evolution Email Application
>  * Configuration - which services to connect to, which plugins to use,
> syncing rates, display preferences.
>  * Data - Email messages recieved, contact data, calendar event, note
> text, text typed in, files sent as attachments.

Aaaaahhh wait! It's nice you separated data and configuration, but to be
honest: I really don't want my home directory to be flooded with data I
don't even want do see outside the application! I don't want to have a
folder "background images" in my home where the background images are, I
don't want to have a "evolution emails" folder where I can get to my
emails without opening Evolution itself! I don't think I'm alone with
this thought...think of all the "non-power-user", for them it would be a
tsunami of data they cannot handle...

The idea is nice, but not for every program! Why should I want to access
the emails directly? I can use Evolution for that, its nicer and a lot
more user friendly then the file explorer is! I think this is a big step
in the wrong direction, you would like to use the email application just
to make the connection and download the mails! That reminds me of the
old telnet email clients - my uncle still uses one of them, because he's
familiar with that - but we have really powerful applications now, we
should use them!