Hardware support, Benchmark DAC1 USB

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:46:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 13:40 +0200, August Karlstrom wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Benchmark DAC1 USB (high-end) digital to analogue converter
> which does not seem to work with Ubuntu 8.04. The DAC is detected by the
> sound preferences program (gnome-sound-properties) as "USB Audio".
> However, when I select it and run a sound test the application
> terminates due to a segmentation fault. When I boot up Windows 2000 Pro
> from a different partition on my harddrive the DAC1 USB works fine, so
> it seems to be a software related problem.

Yes, it should be filed as a bug on whatever sound test program you're
using, I think, as a segfault is just C (and its ilk)'s way of saying
there's a bug in how the application is managing memory.

> The thing is that the DAC should work without any specific device driver
> and in fact it did work in Ubuntu 7.10 (or maybe it was 7.04).

Try testing it with some other application.  The driver's likely fine as
it's detected as an audio device.  Just to be sure, you should try it
with a different application though.

Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo