Firefox newly insists on showing an EULA

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Tue Sep 16 08:13:01 UTC 2008

Am 16.09.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Onno Benschop:

> To me this issue is the thin-end of the wedge, next we'll have a EULA
> for which ever developer wants to have a EULA. I realise that not all
> applications will go down this route, but if this stands as a
> precedent,
> then we're likely to be bombarded by pop-up EULA's and we'll no longer
> have the option of installing software within (large) organisations
> without having a lawyer present.

For me, I'm fanatic enough to _not_ care wether I have to click away
a few nagging windows or not. The issue is, Mozilla tries to restrict
what a user is allowed to do with Firefox and this is a big no-no in
the open source world. At least for software claiming to be free-as-
in-speech. If we let this go through, others will come up with
similar or differently shaped restrictions (commercial interests are
everywhere), leading to a legal nightmare much worse than what we are
used to from Microsoft, Apple, or similars.

That said, I think Mark Shuttleworth should have learned now the
Ubuntu community doesn't take such issues lightly and will proceed
accordingly.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/