.recently-used : provide a way to disable the logging

A. Walton awalton at gnome.org
Mon Sep 15 18:52:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 14:08 -0400, A. Walton wrote:

>> > Is there a way to disable this?  I've never looked in Recent Documents.
>> > I have ~/.bash_history for that ;)  Hmm, I have the Search for Files
>> > still in Places too, apparently.  Why does that stay there even though I
>> > removed Tracker on first boot?
>>
>> The file is written by Gtk+, not Tracker. gtk-recent-files-max-age=0
>> in your gtkrc file should make it go away, per the documentation:
>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkSettings.html#GtkSettings--gtk-recent-files-max-age
>
> I figured Tracker would be the cause of Seach for Files, though.  Is it?

Depends. Like Nautilus, Gtk+ has search engine support for Beagle,
Tracker, (only in Gtk+ Quartz) and "Simple" (with "Simple" being a
simple file-name search engine used in the event the others can't be
loaded).  I think Gtk+ uses some dlopen() trickery to load library
support for Beagle and Tracker; we don't do that in Nautilus.
-A. Walton