Full boot in 45s, 3 possible improvements (for Jaunty Jackalope 9.04?)

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Sep 15 18:22:59 UTC 2008

Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> 2008/9/15 Andre Mussche <andre.mussche at gmail.com>:
>> I want to try to use e2defrag on my ext3 disk, to try to reorder the
>> bootfiles (of the readahead list),
>> so less head movements.
>
> e2defrag is dangerous, can destroy your data, and should not be used.
> See http://marc.info/?l=ext3-users&m=116231468911590&w=2

FUD and needless paranoia should be avoided.  While there is always a
chance something like this can go wrong, you always keep backups right?
  Right?

A while back I made a few patches to the ubuntu e2defrag to make it work
properly on ext3 and stress tested it quite a bit on a small test
filesystem with no issues, so using it SHOULD be fine.