Configuration Validation

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Sat Sep 13 04:26:05 UTC 2008

I think we've all had that idea at one time or another, but sadly it's
based on a misunderstanding of how the community works.

Steve Jobs stood atop the mountain and commanded that Mac developers
jump to plists, and everyone jumped because that's how Apple development
works.  If Mark Shuttleworth stood atop the mountain and commanded Linux
devs do the same, people would listen politely then carry on as before.
 Linux developers are very individualistic in that way, which has
benefits and drawbacks.  You've identified some of the drawbacks, and I
should imagine others will reply stating some benefits soon enough :)

Projects like GConf tackle this issue in a more Linuxy way: write a
tool, then convince people that they'll get more value for less effort
by using it.  If you're really motivated to work on this problem, I
suggest you talk to them about what you can do to help out.

	- Andrew