Boot-time improvements

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:32:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 11:47 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-09-11 at 22:44 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > Here's my 1:28 bootchart: http://mg.pov.lt/hardy-20080822-1.png
> >
> > There are at most 4 seconds of idle waiting.
> >
> > Hey, I see zope2.9 taking quite a bit of the time (20 seconds).  I no
> > longer need that.  sudo apt-get remove to the rescue!
> >
> > And here's my 1:09 bootchart: http://mg.pov.lt/hardy-20080822-3.png.
> > It also has zope2.9, but I don't see offhand why it is 20 seconds
> > shorter than the first one.  What is that 'exe' process near the start?
> thats usually the execution bit of the bar above ... in your first
> bootchart modprobe seems to do some horrible things ... also, do you
> actually have any hardware that uses restricted drivers ?
> dropping lrm should gain you some extra time as well if you dont ...

Now you mention it, removing l-r-m is one of the first things I do.
Second is disable bluetooth.  I don't think the bluetooth service should
be enabled unless bluetooth hardware is detected.  Perhaps these need to
be made smarter.  If the hardware's not there, don't bother adding it.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo