Boot-time improvements

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:35:12 UTC 2008

2008/9/12 Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>:
>> You have 25-35 seconds from GRUB till desktop appearing (using autologin)?
>
> i have managed 22 already with a not to drastic set of modifications (19
> after grub [1] plus the three second grub timeout) with the ten seconds
> my BIOS takes that even stays below 35 for the complete boot process
> from hitting power button to see gdm.

That's not "till desktop appearing (using autologin)". People often
speak about different things when saying "boot", but regardless of the
term used the interest here is "when the desktop is usable" after
powering up the computer. It can be measured by temporarily activating
auto-login in gdm setup to bypass gdm. It can even double that figure,
and it's the figure which we are interested in. One cannot do much
work with gdm.

Like I said, I'd say the aim should be around 15-20s ultimately on
modern (but non-SSD) laptops for GRUB-to-desktop, since we cannot
affect BIOS-to-GRUB at the moment. Though that cannot be reached
without fully using prefetch or having GNOME login optimized otherwise
very heavily.

> i think we still have to do our homework first and get the existing stuff into a
> reasonable shape

I agree that every optimization counts, even if it's small (but a lot
of small fixes make for a bigger change).

-Timo