The Case For Re-Evaluating Our Release Approach To FFMPEG

Null Ack nullack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:44:12 UTC 2008

2008/9/10 Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com>:
> "Null Ack" <nullack at gmail.com> writes:

>> libavcodec and so forth released in both the current development build
>> and as backports to production builds. User's expect to have video
>> experiences atleast as good as Windows and Mac, and this is necessary
>> for actually delivering that.
>
> The main problem is lack of manpower. Every time ffmpeg is updated, we
> can more or less expect applications and libraries that use them to
> break.
>
> FWIW, the next upstream snapshot that I'm preparing for
> debian/experimental right now is going to drop nearly all
> patches. Packaging new snapshots should become pretty easy then.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Reinhard I'm excited to hear about the progress with dropping many
patches and streamlining the process for synching from SVN. I'm also
thankful for your interest in bug 263153 which I think is likely fixed
in the latest gstreamer ffmpeg plugin release.

I understand about person power and I will comit to helping you with
testing new ffmpeg releases and related applications. I have a test
library that involves many different containers and compression types
and other features. I'm somewhat new to gstreamer but I've got a
pretty solid understanding of digital media technologies and
practices.