Boot-time improvements

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Fri Sep 12 07:32:25 UTC 2008

2008/9/12 Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au>:
> I'm not quite sure what all the ranting is all about regarding Ubuntu
> boot times. I never really even thought of it until it was mentioned on
> the mailing list here. So, as a test, I timed my own system how long it
> takes to boot. From GRUB boot to login screen, it was 36.72 secs. And
> that is on a Celeron D with 512MB DDR RAM and booting from an old IDE
> hard drive. I'd imagine that a more recent dual core setup with more ram
> and a more recent sata hard drive would have better results. But my mere
> 36 secs is certainly nothing to rant about.

Most of the seeks (small file reads) happen when loading desktop
environment and it takes substantial part of boot time. Enable
autologin and then measure boot time until the desktop appears.

Faster CPUs, more memory and even faster disks do not help much to
fight time wasted on disk seeks.

--

	Krzysztof Lichota