Boot-time improvements

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:23:47 UTC 2008

2008/9/11 Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net>:
> As an author of Prefetch, I cannot agree that it would not fix seeks ;)
> Part of my implementation, not enabled by default as it is highly
> experimental, is ext3 defragmenter which puts all files for prefetch
> in one place on disk, so the requests to read them can be merged into
> big streaming reads.

I stand happily corrected :) Hopefully you will get some help in
testing the defragmenter and getting that part stable in time, too.
The hard part in the whole prefetch is probably it being kernel-based,
but the diff [1] seemed quite non-invasive, ie. only a few calls in
the existing kernel code and then some new calls.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/prefetch/source/browse/#svn/trunk/kernel-patches/2.6.22

-Timo