Boot-time improvements

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 10 11:40:56 UTC 2008

hi,
On Di, 2008-09-09 at 20:31 +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some systems have been really successful at making it *appear* as if the
> system starts up faster. In my opinion, where the system can't be made
> to boot faster, it should be made to appear so.
there are a lot of intresting suggestions in this thread, but the
biggest change that migh gain us teh most seems to be ignored by
everyone ...
one very important step we're about to take is to do the final switch
from sysvinit scripts to upstart events over the next time, i thought
that should be mentioned in this thread since nobody has brought it up
yet ...

upstart events running from initramfs will gain us a lot in bootspeed
dropping the serialized sysvinit scripts will gain us even more, but the
transition involved is massively painful due to the sheer amount of
existing initscripts.

it would be cool to see some community activity here (i.e. a team
forming around redoing the scripts in upstart events, doing tests and
measurements and publishing bootcharts ...) if the distro team alone
does it it will take a lot longer and having help from the community can
only speed up ;)

ciao
	oli