The Case For Re-Evaluating Our Release Approach To FFMPEG

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 9 14:35:06 UTC 2008

"Null Ack" <nullack at gmail.com> writes:

> libavcodec and so forth released in both the current development build
> and as backports to production builds. User's expect to have video
> experiences atleast as good as Windows and Mac, and this is necessary
> for actually delivering that.

The main problem is lack of manpower. Every time ffmpeg is updated, we
can more or less expect applications and libraries that use them to
break.

FWIW, the next upstream snapshot that I'm preparing for
debian/experimental right now is going to drop nearly all
patches. Packaging new snapshots should become pretty easy then.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4