Boot sequence profiling on first boot

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Sep 8 09:17:41 UTC 2008

Am 08.09.2008 um 01:05 schrieb Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk:

> 2008/9/8 Wouter Stomp <wouterstomp at gmail.com>:
>
>> I just tried the effect of profiling the boot sequence by adding
>> profile to the kernel line in grub, and the effects were amazing!
>> From
>> 1:21 (average of 3 boots) to 58 seconds (again average of 3).
>
> I tried it and the speedup was only from 0:37 to 0:34. The system has
> a month and a half.

I don't know much about the boot profiler, but likely, it can
influence the time between kernel loading and starting X11 only. On
my machine, a fairly recent dual core desktop, most time is used on
the other parts: the vendor's BIOS screen, Grub waiting a few seconds
for possible user input, X11 and Gnome launching.

Nevertheless, a gain of a few seconds is great, considering the boot
sequence (hopefully) remains stable and it's a gain on each of
millions of computers.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/