feedback on new wiki theme

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:00:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 14:31 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> This is a very nice theme and looks more professional and usable to
> me. My only complaint is that it's rather narrow on all my computers
> (widescreen laptop and LCD displays). It looks like we're losing an
> awful lot of screen real estate. Is it possible to make it a fluid
> rather than fixed width theme? http://www.ubuntu.com has the same
> issue. It ends up looking rather cramped on all my computers and more
> like a blog site (perhaps because of the ubiquity of some of
> Wordpresses past default themes :-) ).

There is one usability issue with letting the content get too wide,
however.  If you've ever used LaTeX, it defaults to something like 65
char/line.  The reason is that as the lines get longer, it becomes more
difficult to track which line one is reading.  Upon reaching the end of
the line, the eyes must scroll much further left to find the beginning
of the next line, and the longer the lines are the harder it is to track
and the more likely one is to do that thing where a line is read twice
or a line is skipped.  You'll also notice this principle in how
newspapers and textbooks do columns.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo