PackageKit: Call for testing

Luke L lukehasnoname at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:50:58 UTC 2008

It's packagekit-gnome, not 'gnome-packagekit'.

Worked fine for me. Are we supposed to be critiquing the software? It was a
bit minimalist, and the frames in the windows are not resize-able. It
doesn't seem as full featured as Synaptic, though it has a good look to it.
It's info area is better laid out, and a live search feature. The repo
listing is better in Synaptic.

In short, I could see it being very useful and competitive with Synaptic,
with a few tweaks and cleanups.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> The APT backend for PackageKit [1] has made a lot of progress recently
> in the 0.3.x series. It nearly supports all features of PackageKit.
>
> Highlights of the 0.3.x series are:
>
>      * Search for codecs and mime type handlers
>      * Local file installation
>      * Change log for updates
>      * Group support
>      * Repository handling
>      * Notification of new distro releases
>      * A lot of bug fixes
>
> See the feature matrix for more infromation:
>
> http://www.packagekit.org/pk-matrix.html
>
> Currently we have got a quite outdated 0.2.4 version in Intrepid.
> Furthermore sharing the same version would help to reduce maintenance
> burden, since Fedora plans to ship 0.3.2 in the next release. But before
> proposing a freeze exception I would like to have some feedback.
>
> So if you are interested in this piece of software and want to push
> packagekit forward please test it on your system and report bugs that
> you may encounter.
>
> You can find packages of the upcoming 0.3.2 release for Hardy and
> Intrepid in this Personal Package Archive:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~packagekit/+archive<https://launchpad.net/%7Epackagekit/+archive>
>
> Add the repository and install the packages packagekit and
> gnome-packagekit.
>
> The new applications will appear in the System -> Administration menu.
>
> The obligatory screenshot:
>

> http://www.glatzor.de/fileadmin/files/screenshots/packagekit/Bildschirmfoto.png
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian