Midnight Commander in 8.10

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Oct 30 06:33:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:17:11PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Felix Miata [2008-10-29 10:29 -0400]:
> > How nice for you that you've never had broken X
>
> But that's not what you asked about? Even if your installed system is
> totally broken, the live system will always boot, and seriously, the
> chances that X doesn't work in the live system, not even with a boring
> 800x600 VESA, are so negligible that I wouldn't care.

That's exactly what happens on my sister's desktop.  She's been asking
me to install Ubuntu forever, but none of the versions I tried has
managed to bring up X.  Even replacing the video card to the same one I
have in my desktop didn't help.

> On those systems
> you can probably not install Ubuntu/Kubuntu in the first place.

That was my reluctant conclusion.

Marius Gedminas
--
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.