Preparing for Ubuntu Open Week

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 29 19:15:16 UTC 2008

Hi Jorge,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Right now we've penciled off Monday 3 November to 7 November as Open
> Week for this cycle.

{snip}

> Basically, if you're doing something cool that you'd like to run a
> session on, put your name down on the list.

I had added "Documentation" to the list for this, but it wasn't
included in the final schedule. Obviously, I appreciate that it's not
possible to include every subject that you get recommendations on, but
the Ubuntu Documentation Project has been rather neglected in recent
Open Weeks: since appearing in the first two Open Weeks, it hasn't
appeared since then, and documentation is quite an important area of
the community because it's a substantial part of the user experience,
the project needs more contributions, and it is a great place for
people who don't code to get involved.

Perhaps documentation can be considered for a future Open Week?

One other small comment on the schedule: it's not totally clear
whether the aim of Open Week is about attracting new contributors
(which is what I had understood it to be about), because a few of the
sessions appear to about how to use particular features on Ubuntu,
which is something which will appeal to users, rather than
contributors. Those sessions look a bit like walkthrough sessions, or
live tutorials. I'm not saying that one type of session is more
valuable than the other, but perhaps it is worth making a clear
distinction because that way you are more likely to get the right
demographic of people attending each type of session. If there are
sessions which will be showing off particular features of Ubuntu, they
could be publicised as support sessions, or even be used as concrete
marketing initiatives.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org