Boot times,services and packages

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:25:03 UTC 2008

Hi all,
       There are three services which on my system which just take
cycles other than doing anything. (or so I believe)

a. nvidia-kernel (no nvidia card so useless)
b. bluetooth (no support for bluetooth in the motherboard, so useless again)
c. laptop-mode ( this is a desktop, although do have a UPS)

so why is it in the boot-sequence taking all those precious cycles?

Can't we make our boot-up infrastructure more intelligent so it stops
those services for which hardware is not there or not present.

Another issue is now  I have three tools like bum (boot-up manager) or
sys-rc-conf or System > Administration > Services (although the last
one is just for stopping or starting services

Now which one is recommended for doing stuff although like bum.

If there has been some discussion on this which I'm unaware please
point out the same to me.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17