System->Administration cleanup

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 23 21:45:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 14:37 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
>> > I'm working on a design to combine the "Preferences" and
>> > "Administration" menus into something more wieldy.
>>
>> Isn't gnome-control-center the answer to this? Having tried OpenSUSE
>> and noting a big improvement on Ubuntu in the way preference tools are
>> presented, I raised the issue of its activation by default in Ubuntu a
>> while back on the -desktop list, and there was a brief discussion
>> about the fact that it seems to be rather slow to appear on some
>> systems, but no serious discussion or justification offered for
>> including the long unwieldy menus.
>
> It's still overcrowded and doesn't address the fact that many of the
> items should really combine for clarity.  Keyboard, keyboard shortcuts,
> OnBoard...those seem like they could all go together.  Printing and
> Default Printer?  Put them together.  Preferred Applications and
> Removable Drives and Media should go together as well.  Removable Drives
> and Media is really "preferred applications for handling removable
> drives and media," so it doesn't really need to be separate.

That is of course true, but it's a separate problem, not a problem
with gnome-control-center. It exists both in the Ubuntu menu and in
gnome-control-center. I'm fairly sure it's a known problem upstream
and there is at least some gradual work to combine utilities (such as
the Appearance utility).

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org