System->Administration cleanup

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 23 13:37:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a design to combine the "Preferences" and
> "Administration" menus into something more wieldy.

Isn't gnome-control-center the answer to this? Having tried OpenSUSE
and noting a big improvement on Ubuntu in the way preference tools are
presented, I raised the issue of its activation by default in Ubuntu a
while back on the -desktop list, and there was a brief discussion
about the fact that it seems to be rather slow to appear on some
systems, but no serious discussion or justification offered for
including the long unwieldy menus.

Even if gnome-control-center has some bugs, I would have thought that
working on those is more efficient and upstream friendly than
redesigning the menu.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org