Bug madness: High frequency of load/unload cycles

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Thu Oct 16 11:04:35 UTC 2008

Il giorno Mon, 12 May 2008 23:14:33 +0200
Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan at club.fr> ha scritto:

> But it has not fixed all issues. And it appears to cause some HD to
> heat, which can possibly be dangerous. But this may just be an
> illusion.

This is not an illusion: my laptop hangs after a couple of hours of
work if I set the disk that way. I tend to consider this more bad
design of my laptop than a software bug, but it seems that there is no
static hdparm -B value that fits me (load cycles increases 100 times per
hour if I set it to lower values).

I still see a solution: the hdparm
setting should be dynamic and influenced by both hddtemp results and the
load_cycles count. There should be a daemon which monitors the
derivatives of load_cycles and the drive temperature and sets the -B
flag of hdparm to 255 whenever load_cycles is increasing too fast, and
to lower values whenever the hard disk temperature is increasing too.

Vincenzo