Capture source continuously reset

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Tue Oct 14 17:58:49 UTC 2008

Il giorno Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:27:11 -0400
Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> But if you use alsamixer on the command line to unmute it (arrow keys
> to move around, and M to mute/unmute), does it stay unmuted after you
> exit alsamixer (by hitting escape)?

I now understood that it's not muted: it's rather that my only record
input (the mic) is not enabled as a capture source (the button on the
right below the slider in gnome-volume-control. In alsa-mixer this
corresponds to having "capture" in red under the relevant control. Now
the interesting thing: with pulseaudio killed, and the mixer applet
removed from the panel, I keep alsa-mixer running in a terminal. I
select the capture source using the space bar, and as soon as the
gnome-sound-recorder window appears (_before_ starting to record
anything), the capture source is disabled. Also, pulseaudio recording
has not been working at all (perhaps it's the latest kernel, I don't
know).

I should probably try to debug the problem with gdb in the next days,
but as skype is not a gtk application I would tend to say this is a
problem of alsa.

Thanks

Vincenzo