[Fwd: Turn off touchpad while typing]

William Grant wgrant at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 9 05:16:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

George Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 20:09 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Dienstag, den 07.10.2008, 10:25 -0700 schrieb George Farris:
>>> Shouldn't we have this type of thing in the touchpad settings and I
>>> would think it should be enabled by default.
>> thats pretty irrelevant now that hal manages all input devices and you
>> dont need to muck about with xorg.conf at all anymore so the dangerous
>> "SHMConfig" "on" isnt needed anymore ...
>>
>> hal-set-property should be all you need ...
>>

> So ummm how does one use hal-set-property to turn the mousepad off while
> typing and turn it back on 1.5 seconds after you stop typing?

hal-set-property isn't very useful here, but xinput can be used to
change things without SHMConfig. While travelling this morning I added
input device property support to syndaemon -- it turned out to be a
rather larger job than I expected, but AFAICS it is fine.

Install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics from my PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~wgrant/+archive) to get this version. With it
installed, syndaemon should be usable without manual device
configuration. Please complain about anything that's broken with it.

--
William Grant