Intrepid hangs on boot often

George Farris george.farris at viu.ca
Mon Oct 6 17:36:28 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron and an Acer Aspire 2000 and both seem to hang on
boot quite often.  For example:  I just ran all the latest updates on
the Dell this morning, new kernel, won't boot, it hangs.  Last
successful boot works and then if I don't switch the machine off the new
kernel will boot.  In fact while writing this email and testing the
system has both boot and hung.

When it hangs it stops at:

iTCO_wdt: Found a ICH7-M TCO device (Version=2, TCOBASE=0x1060)
iTCO_wdt: initialized, heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)

Then I turn it off, reboot, use the exact same kernel and it boots???
I also don't think it always stops at the same place.

Now I can't get it to hang at all. Oh well...

I've noticed this type of regression with a number of machines and 8.10
using the both the live CD and installed version.

Cheers all

George Farris   george.farris at viu.ca
Vancouver Island University

"As Open Source continues to explode, and as we continue to see such huge
growth and success as it spreads across the world and into different
industries, we all need to remember that the raw ingredients that make
this happen are enthusiastic, smart, decent people, and I for one feel
privileged to spend every day with these people."  Jono Bacon