User Switcher, Shutdown Options, IM Status

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 1 05:33:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:16 -0500, Tony Yarusso wrote:
> As for status updates and the like, I've long wished things were more
> integrated.  (See
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/gaim-calendar-auto-aways
> for one of my ideas that still isn't implemented.)

I see where you're going there... but I haven't decided if that would be
a little... spooky.  I'm not sure how much control I'd want my day
planer having over my IM status.

That being said, that's a feature for Evolution.  Now that telepathy has
been blessed as a GNOME dependency it is something they could add.  I'd
recommend discussing that upstream with the Evolution developers.  If
Evolution was to set the presence in Telepathy the applet would respond
correctly.

> Besides just
> Pidgin and Empathy, it would be nice if there was something I could
> hook into through other means, such as an irssi script, so that
> absolutely everything could be connected.  Make there be ways to hook
> up ping.fm, twitter, and identi.ca to it.  Make it connected to
> hamster-applet activities.  You get the idea - have a truly central
> place for this information, since it's increasingly being used in
> different ways.

While I think those are all interesting, and exciting possibilities, I
think they'd probably be better implemented as Telepathy plugins rather
than features of the applet.  Well, I don't know about irssi scripts,
but everything else :)

		--Ted