Are file permissions in files on external devices silly?

Aaron Toponce atoponce at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 21 15:40:38 UTC 2008

How would you propose to solve it? Change the permissions on files to
the person logged in? Add a user account with the matching UID to match
those found on the files, then log that user in? Change world
permissions on the file, so everyone can access it? I think you can see
the silly-ness behind these options.

What your brother doesn't realize, is that when you take files from
system to system, OS to OS, you're going to encounter these headaches.
It's just the way these things go.

What should be expected, is having your brother learn how Linux
operates. It's always bothered me that just because Windows dumbed down
the computing experience, means everyone else has to too. When Linux
starts asking its users to learn a little bit about their operating
system, such as files permissions, they throw their arms up in disgust,
saying that they aren't a programmer or advanced computer user. While
there may be a line to draw on what we should expect from theme, basic
file permissions, I think, is well behind that line.

--
                       _
Aaron Toponce         ( )  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

--
 ,-O  Aaron Toponce
O   } Ubuntu Member