[strawman] partual support of apps for policykit for Jaunty

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 21 09:54:56 UTC 2008

Markus Hitter [2008-11-20 17:01 +0100]:
> Well, if you edit a system file as a normal user, you'd have to provide
> the password, don't you? That's like "vi" vs. "sudo vi".

Right, but sudo always times out quickly, whereas PK privileges
potentially stay forever. Also, sudo is a mechanism to run one
particular program as root, whereas PK authenticates actions of a
separate backend which already runs as root. The latter architecture
does not make a lot of sense to me for an editor.

Martin