Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Nov 10 19:35:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:13:25AM +0000, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> John McCabe-Dansted ha scritto:
>
> > OTOH hand this means that the drivers together cover more than 85%.
> > Would it perhaps be worth making both drivers easily available on the
> > same kernel?
> >
> > I guess ideally we would scan the CVS automatically compiling each
> > module, and identify the exact revision that caused the regression.
> >

> In the case of intel, that would have meant letting us the choice to use
> "i810" for xorg and "ipw3945" for wifi also in hardy and intrepid.
> "i810" does not recognise my card anymore if I try to use it manually.
> Intel has deprecated both drivers but someone should go there and ask
> them why they maintain their linux driver at a much lower level than
> their windows ones. If official representatives of ubuntu go there we
> have some chances.

Are you asking why Intel would devote more support resources to the side
with more marketshare that makes much more money for them?  ;-)

Regarding -i810, indeed there are a few remaining corner cases where
there are issues (mostly with old 8xx-era chips that Intel provides only
limited support for), and I've discussed a lot of these with Intel.  But
I can't really speak on your issue without knowing the specifics of your
case.  LP#?

Bryce