Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 21:20:41 UTC 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008 15:07, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
>> network. Some of them work in a release, some of them in another. In the
>> end, you never see your laptop "just working" in a single release.
>
> Oddly enough, for me, my Dell Latitude D430 laptop (not one of the ones that
> is pre-sold with Ubuntu) has 'just worked' in Gutsy, Hardy, and Intrepid.
>
> I don't doubt you've had problems, but it's not safe to over-generalize.

What he propably meant more is that Ubuntu don't deliver fully on it's
promises, and it is really hard and frustrating to people who like
Ubuntu to do more promotional work because usually something breaks
between releases.

I see solution as feature and hardware spec, where supported stuff is
provided as much as possible. It will be never 100% sure, of course,
but at least some starting point. Good report when starting new
development cycle on this (like bug list about hardware which doesn't
work) would be good start.

Just my two euro cents,
Peter.