Ubuntu 8.10 significantly slower than previous versions

Dan Colish dcolish at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:43:48 UTC 2008

>>>"faster than Vista isn't hard, we want it to be faster than XP" because
>>>remember, that's what most people are running.  Why would they switch to
>>>Ubuntu if it's going to make their machine slower?

I think performance is a very relative term. Slow for games can be great for
a database. I am a lot more interested in baseline comparisons between
identical systems. I think Ubuntu will make systems faster, but it also make
some systems slower. It depends on what you mean by speed. In any case,
purpose-built will always beat one size fits all.