Should default keyboard be based on location?

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun May 25 14:21:31 UTC 2008

Am 24.05.2008 um 22:20 schrieb Evan:

> While living in Germany might point towards the use of a german-
> layout keyboard, any decision really depends on what percent of
> German users actually use german-layout keyboards.

Calculate with some 99%. Every PC offered comes with a german
keyboard by default and only few vendors allow to change to an
english layout. This holds true for even smaller markets like german-
speaking switzerland.

> However, it is my guess that the standard US-English layout is
> common enough that it makes sense to leave this as-is.

The reason, germans don't scream is, characters are almost the same
on the german vs. the english keyboard. Punctuation ()<>"ยง$ is
totally different, though and then, there are umlauts ... many people
can't type their name on a english layout correctly.

Hope that helps,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/