Strip incompatible characters from Windows partitions!

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun May 18 08:35:23 UTC 2008

Am 16.05.2008 um 13:05 schrieb Milosz Derezynski:
> Furthermore, does anyone know how OS X and/or other operating
> systems handle
> this issue?

On Mac OS X, you can happily create files with names Windows Explorer
can't read. Recently it happened to me with a filename with a plain
space(!) as the last character.

> Samba not allowing/normalizing such filenames is i think a good
> hint that it shouldn't be considered sane to write such filenames
> to a FAT
> directory structure.

Well, Samba it's self doesn't name or create files. Samba provides
whatever the served file system contains. This is fine, as it can be
used to copy files from one Linux machine to another Linux box.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/