Ubuntu beyond GTK apps?

A. Walton awalton at gnome.org
Sun May 18 01:20:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/18 Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie>:

> That's the Gnome way: make decisions for the users, assuming that what
> the dev wants is exactly what the user wants. The KDE way would be to
> make it konfigurable, where the user can choose which side he prefers.

I'd suggest anyone following the quoted text above read this blog
post, perhaps ironically written by someone working on KDE software...
[I would also suggest that they look at how  Ubuntu, KDE and GNOME
make decisions, since the above is a ghastly inaccurate generalization
of the processes involved]

http://weblog.obso1337.org/2008/four-words-for-funpidgin/

The irony, of course, comes from the criticality of the team working
on Funpidgin, while ignoring some of their own software teams that
employ many of the tactics or similar ones that the post is critical
of (though in addition to her points, s/Users/Developers/ is probably
just as fair a substitution to make in this case. This was pointed out
by Emmanuele Bassi in the post's comments and I entirely agree with
him). Pot, kettle, etc. I sincerely hope that they can read these
words and take them to heart, not that they're not making significant
strides forward towards usability, nor that GNOME isn't making strides
towards flexibility.

I'll refrain from posting in this thread any more, as it has already
gotten dangerously offtopic and nearly pointless; a spartan flame
under woolen attire, to beat around the bush a little. At the end of
the day, the two camps have differing views on how things should be
done, even if we can agree on common software and make our components'
interoperability better and look-and-feel more compatible, as the
software in the original post attempts to do. Perhaps it'd be enough
just to package and ship the software and let users enable it at their
will for now. How's that for doing what users wish?

2 cents, truckload of salt, opinions expressed are mine except where
otherwise noted, no offense intentional, etc.
-A.Walton