Ubuntu beyond GTK apps?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat May 17 21:33:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 22:24 +0200, Krzysztof Klimonda wrote:
> Unless KDE and GNOME developers
> agree to create common HIG there is no way to create consistent
> desktop by using K* and G* applications simultaneously. And if
> someone wonder if consistency is worth all the effort look at the
> Mac OS X - people use this system among other things because
> of how does all applications look alike.

There are also things like:
GNOME: preferences goes in "Edit"
Windows & OOo: preferences/options goes in "Tools"
KDE: have a Settings menu and 4 or more places inside it to change
settings
OSX: preferences are in the app's name's menu

It also seems to me that GNOME favors drop-down menus for settings where
only one is possible while KDE goes for lots of radio buttons and tabs
(ex: KMail).  Personally, KDE's settings menus scare me at first look.
I can't take in the amount of information displayed on one "page" in KDE
settings without feeling overwhelmed, so I wouldn't mind seeing that
change.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo