Ubuntu beyond GTK apps?

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Sat May 17 03:03:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> Seriously, the notion that it's OK to not care about how defaults affect
> experienced users is
> totally bogus.  I run my Kubuntu desktop with very little customization a
> really dislike the
> notion that my preferences don't count because I could turn off some
> annoying new feature.
>
> Scott K

I agree 100%. I try and keep my desktop as close to default as possible
because it makes it so much easier to test bugs. The less customization I
do, the more likely it is that it isn't my fault somehow. And besides, just
because I know how to edit config files doesn't mean I like doing it.

Although I'd much rather have everything work the way I want it to out of
the box, I realize that sometimes my preferences differ from the norm. I'm
fine with that, but if we're going to do something as fundamental as a UI
reorganization, we have to be absolutely sure that the majority would
benefit from it.

Evan