Strip incompatible characters from Windows partitions!

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:31:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> I'd say that if there's a bug it's in Windows.  I could see a wishlist bug
> against Ubuntu to provide a way to check for this/suggest changes to avoid
> problematic filenames, but there is nothing inherently defective with the
> current behavior.
>
> Scott K

I agree that there is no inherent problem with the Ubuntu code, and it
should really be up to Windows to support more characters. However I can
think of several situations where this could cause considerable problems for
the end user. We should at the very least provide a warning that "Naming a
file on this partition with any of the following characters will prevent
Windows from opening it. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Evan