Ubiquity - setting a separate /home by default

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed May 14 15:21:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 04:47:46PM +0200, David Prieto wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> > I should also point out (because I gave out misinformation on IRC in a
> > moment of inattention) that this only works when you're using the manual
> > partitioner and select a partition to mount as /, or equivalent. If you
> > use the automatic partitioner and select "use entire disk", then that's
> > equivalent to wiping the whole drive and starting again.
>
> I really would like to discuss this. I think this would make sense in
> some cases, like having several distros coexisting in the same disk for
> example. But what if there is just ONE partition, with Ubuntu on it? In
> that case, why shouldn't /home be kept?
>
> My original proposal was intended for total newbies, the kind of people
> who would be afraid of the manual partitioner. I think your solution
> should especially help that kind of people, and that keeping /home if
> there is only one partition would be the right way to do so.

I tend to agree. Unfortunately it doesn't fit very easily into how the
automatic partitioner is designed right now, but please do open a bug
report for this (against the partman-auto package in Ubuntu).

> That aside, I opened a thread about the issue at ubuntuforums. The
> members seem a bit uneasy about it, saying that it might bring problems.
> I think it would be good if you guys came over and shed some light on
> it.
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=793772 this is the link.

I'd prefer if development discussions stayed here; what with OpenSSL and
everything I have very little time for forums threads right now.