Ubiquity - setting a separate /home by default

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Wed May 14 05:33:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 23:47 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 00:33 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I presume that you did not instruct the installer to format the old
> > /home partition? (If you did, then why?)
> >
> > If not, then that's a very serious bug. Please report it as soon as
> > possible with all relevant details, including /var/log/installer/syslog
> > and /var/log/installer/partman.
>
> The paragraph quoted says that the partition into which Intrepid was
> installed had a /home *folder* not *partition*.  It was said in response
> to someone saying that a separate partition is not needed because the
> installer no longer destroys /home directories inside the / partition.
> Obviously, the installer did delete the /home directory and not just the
> system directory.

The code in question should work in either circumstance.  That is, it
should delete everything but the /home directory or /home partition.
I'm simplifying this somewhat.  It actually deletes specific directories
rather than wiping everything but /home in order to leave
your /randomdirectory intact.

As Colin mentioned, if you haven't checked the format box on the
partition containing /home, and the installer wiped it anyway, then
that's a very serious bug that needs to be brought to our attention.