The new firefox start page looks a bit tricky when searching google

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sun May 11 20:40:31 UTC 2008

Il giorno dom, 11/05/2008 alle 15.11 -0400, Blaise Alleyne ha scritto:

> I tend to agree. I can see the point of a start page with more
> information about Ubuntu and such, there's an argument for it... but
> even so, do we really need a custom search on that start page? What's
> the point of having a search bar on that page anyways?

Looking at

http://www.google.com/coop/cse/

and at the increased number of banners I think canonical is making money
out of that - if this is the case, it should be stated on the web page
above the search (something like "search google with this form and make
ubuntu earn money"), just to show everybody that ubuntu is not the usual
business company. Especially considered that an option that google
offers to non-profit organizations is to have a custom search _without_

Your mileage may vary, I understand that :)

Vincenzo