Ubiquity - setting a separate /home by default

David Prieto frandavid100 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:23:03 UTC 2008

Some time ago, I posted this idea on Ubuntu Brainstorm, about the
possibility to use a separate /home folder by default on systems where,
depending on free disk space, it is considered advisable.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5390/

It has grown very popular, to the point of ranking #10 in popularity
-there are over 8,000 ideas in the page-. I really do think it's a good
idea so I'm bringing it here for discussion.

Here are some mockups of how the Ubiquity dialogue should look. As you
see, it does not even add an additional step to the installer, nor does
it require any interaction or decision taking from the user, although it
still allows him to.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7958/firstinstallaro2.png

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9034/secondinstalliq1.png

What do devs think of it? Would it be possible to see something like
this in Intrepid?

Regards,

David Prieto.

PS I'm not subscribed to the list, so if you reply to this message
please CC me. Thanks in advance.