Ubuntu boot speed fall in Hardy

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sun May 11 16:33:52 UTC 2008

Il giorno dom, 11/05/2008 alle 12.20 -0400, ffm ha scritto:

> Or you could just set your laptop to power-down on critical battery.

This won't save me from loosing what I didn't save (hopefully, I will
use only editors with good autosave capabilities but I don't know the
general situation)

>  Or
> just remember to turn it off.

I just provided what I consider the strongest argument in favour of
suspend-to-disk. Sometimes when I am traveling I forget to check the
battery because I am under pressure and I have to work until the last
bit of battery. Seeing the laptop suddenly die is a pity. I understand
that there is a general mood to consider suspend-to-disk an unnecessary
toy (at least this seems to be reflected by the status of
suspend-to-disk in many linux distributions - on ubuntu we don't even
have the text progress bar of suspend-to-disk, and nobody that I asked
to knows why). However, there are good reason to consider it useful on
laptops. I am nowadays using an old laptop that has no longer a battery,
because mine is broken. On this model suspend-to-disk works like a
charm. When I have to move the laptop from an office to the other, it's
so helpful to be able to just suspend it and not closing all
applications, you likely can't even imagine.

And by the way, ubuntu is the perfect software for an older laptop, and
works fast and pretty :)

Vincenzo