Extra hand-holding if `mount -a` fails

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Thu May 8 20:32:57 UTC 2008

When important filesystems (like /usr and /home) fail to mount, Ubuntu
currently tries to carry on regardless, leading to confusing
higher-level errors.  Ubuntu's /etc/fstab uses UUID=blah to make failed
mounts less likely, but it also means that it's impossible to mount
anything when udev fails to start.

I think that when /etc/init.d/mountall notices `mount -a` return an
error condition, it should provide a simple interface to manually mount
drives, and warn the user to fix the problem once booting is successful.

I've attached a (bash-specific, poorly commented and totally undebugged)
shell script to give a rough idea of what I'd like to see.

Does this seem plausible?

	- Andrew