Fw: Suggestion to make remote recovery easier

Justin M. Wray wray.justin.ubuntu at gmail.com
Wed May 7 16:57:01 UTC 2008

Forwarding to the list...

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Justin M. Wray" <wray.justin.ubuntu at gmail.com>

Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:55:46
To:"Andrew Sayers" <andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make remote recovery easier

Yes, this seems to be the robust sort of approch that seems to cover the most use cases and works at a very low level.

Thoughts on crytpecat verses socat?  It has the benifit of being more secure.  I think the solution should work as such:

1). Try SSH, if fail then,
2). Try cryptcat, if fail then,
3). Try socat

There will be times when cryptcat will be broken (lib issues etc), so having socat as the last resort seems safe.  But for the sakof passwords and data I do not think it should be the first option.  In addition SSH is far more robost with added complexity, if it is avaliable, I think it should be used.

Thoughts?

The ability to have:
1) A VNC-based GUI
2) An X-based GUI (for e.g. broken video cards)
3) A screen-based TUI (for those of us that love screen)
4) A pty-based TUI (so that editors like vi work)
5) A pipe-based TUI (for dire emergencies)
6) A non-interactive mechanism for swapping keys

Adding only:

7) Custom command

This is the exact sort of options I think should be avaliable in such a solution.  Allowing the "helpless user" pick when running the recovery command.

The best connection solution is a reverse connection to the helpless user, this bypasses the NAT/Firewall issues.  Ssh allows tunnleing, so when possible we should use this (see above).

Else we may want to look into `rrs` (remote reverse shell).

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T