Suggestion to make remote recovery easier

Justin M. Wray wray.justin.ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue May 6 03:14:05 UTC 2008

Andrew, et all,

The iptable changes would be a plus, but should be configurable, with sane defaults.  I personally would be upset if my current rules were altered without my approval.  And it may not be feesable to completely firewall the entire system.  In general, if you setup a SSH key (or use one already created), then brute-force shouldn't be a huge issue.  Its just the transmission of the password to sudo.  And storage thereafter that needs to be secured.

The changes to a home directory in /tmp is a smart move, incase something goes wrong, and it is a bit cleaner as well.  However on some systems this may not work nicely (noexec on /tmp, etc).  Remember not all "newbies" are completely lost.  Someone may want assistance with a complex system or service, and likes the ease of "remote recovery", but that doesn't mean they don't manage the system properly, thus the comments above.  I find it unwise to make assumtions about the users of a service/solution.  It is better to come up with clear defaults, with powerful configuration options.

The clean-up scripts is also a wise addition.

+1 for the general idea.  Remote Help should be easy to obtain, and I too have been on the "support" call debugging ssh/firewalls before I could work on the true issue.  So I welcome the addition of a sound solution.  I am on the road at the moment.  But in a bit (few hours), I am going to sit down, review what you have already mentioned, and attempt to help workout a clear plan of action.

If you have not created a blueprint, you should do so, if you would like I can assist with the creation the blueprint, etc.

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T