Developemnt and use - Training manual

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Mon May 5 14:11:16 UTC 2008

Le lundi 05 mai 2008 à 09:11 -0400, Blaise Alleyne a écrit :
> Billy Cina wrote:
> > George Farris wrote:

> >> Exactly which brings me back to the original question.
> >>
> >> It seems a little out of touch with the rest of Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> If one can take Hardy Heron and use it to present a course on Linux
> >> while charging for the course, why wouldn't you have the license similar
> >> for the documents?  Charge for the course (not the material) but use the
> >> material to refer to in the course.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>

> > Dear George and Blaise,
> >
> > Am addressing both in the same email.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>

> > Ubuntu is a free distribution and will always continue to be free.
> > However, this does not mean that every service provided to support
> > Ubuntu or its further expansion must also be free.
>
> Free as in price or freedom? No one expects that every service provided to support Ubuntu will be provided at no cost, but one does expect Canonical to have a more consistent respect for the freedom central to the open source software it provides. Using a non-free license by choice seems inconsistent with Canonical's stated mission of "facilitating the continued growth and development of the free software community" since it's inconsistent with the community's beliefs and restricts its development. [0]
>
> > Both the Ubuntu
> > community  and Canonical have invested a lot of time and money in
> > developing this course,
>
> I don't think anyone takes for granted the effort that's gone into this project, which is why it'd be a shame if the fruits of that labour are only unavailable under a non-free license, limiting their value and usage.
>
> > it is therefor reasonable for: a. the community
> > to be able to use the material (freely) to further spread the work of
> > Ubuntu and grow the user base,
>
> The important point raised is that the community /isn't/ able to use to the work freely, in the sense of freedom, only in the sense of price. Community members are in a legal grey area, at best, if they want to be compensated for any time and money they spend on training if they make use of these materials because of the non-commercial clause.
>
> > and b. for Canonical to determine who
> > should be seeking a profit out of its investment.
>
> It's reasonable, in the sense that Canonical has the legal right to make such a decision. But Canonical (and the community) would benefit from some consistency in their commitment to free software and free culture. If everyone in the free software world believed it was reasonable "to determine who should be seeking a profit out of [their] investment[s]," Canonical wouldn't have a distribution.
Totally agreed. If you don't want to make the community documentation
(really) free, please just tell it and benevolent people will go
elsewhere to work. I don't think we're willing to spend time on
restricted material, we have better to do. Ubuntu is not just a
competitor to Microsoft, it is free software - please don't play with
definitions of free.

To me, it's a shame this point is discussed; I believed this was just a
mistake, but no, this is a strategic choice... Would you like to release
Ubuntu under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license too? Hopefully you
can't, but what is for you the difference between the software and its
documentation? Please be consistent.