Developemnt and use - Training manual

Blaise Alleyne balleyne at crucible.net
Fri May 2 19:31:46 UTC 2008

(Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit... a messed up my last post to
the list and it broke outside of the thread...)

George Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:38 +0300, Billy Cina wrote:
>
>>> Right, so if we want to use the manual in our Community Education course
>>> to introduce and teach Ubuntu Linux while charging the student a fee for
>>> the course, this would be okay?
>>>
>>> Note: these are not degree courses they fall into the same category as
>>> "learn to paint" or "better life through yoga".  Strictly for community
>>> personal interest with charges usually between $50.00 - $199.00
>>>

>> Non-profit are key words. $50 - $199.00 sounds like profit seeking to me.
>>
>> Billy Cina
>>

> Exactly which brings me back to the original question.
>
> It seems a little out of touch with the rest of Ubuntu.

It's not only out of touch with Ubuntu's philosophy [0], but out of
touch with open source [1] and free software [2] philosophies... the
ability to charge for free software is always protected, free is about
freedom not price. And, as I noted before, it's out of touch with the
rest of the free culture movement. [3]

Taking away someone's freedom to profit from their work is.. well, dumb.
> If one can take Hardy Heron and use it to present a course on Linux
> while charging for the course, why wouldn't you have the license similar
> for the documents?  Charge for the course (not the material) but use the
> material to refer to in the course.

There are several other, better, licenses which are in line with
Ubuntu's philosophy (i.e. which, if software, would land in the
universe, not the multiverse!):

* CC BY
* CC BY-SA
* GNU Free Documentation License

I don't see why Ubuntu's training material ought to contradict it's
commitment to free software and open source software.

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing (the software
portion retains the right to sell, though documentation is on a
case-by-case basis)
[1] http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd (see the first part of the
definition)
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html